Monday, August 30, 2010

The Beginning and End of Potty Training

I am writing this in the hopes that a few months from now, I will look back and laugh at how we started and stopped potty training in a matter of hours. I was really trying hard to be patient and wait until Abby was ready and wanted to go on the potty. But changing 2 sets of diapers was really getting to me, and with her getting closer to starting school, I figured it was time. So this morning I told her that we'd have a "panty party" tonight if she wore panties all day and went on the potty. The party would consist of cupcakes, balloons and stickers. She was on board with this plan when I left the house at 8 am. Here's the rest of the timeline:
8:36 am: Jason had called to say that she had her first accident
10:45 am: The number crept up to 3 accidents
12:00 pm: I heard she was screaming every time Laura would try to put her on the potty
1:30 pm: Call to mom to express frustration. Mom reminds me that I was trained when I was 3 and started school
2:45 pm: Phone call to family friend and psychiatriast (who also has a 3-yr old daughter who is not potty trained)
2:55 pm: Called off potty training efforts

Family friend/psychiatriast told me that it is in our best interest to not speak of it or think of it and let it happen on its own. She said we'd be causing many more issues later on if we pushed her. She said if and when she does go, to be happy but not overly excited b/c it will make her feel like she is doing it for us, instead of for herself (so don't say "I'm so proud of you", rather "you must be so proud of yourself"). Glad to hear it from an "expert" who is also going through the same thing as us. So PT is off for the time being!

No comments: