Thursday, October 27, 2011

An Anniversary

Yesterday marked the 7-year anniversary of my father's passing. While so much has happened in the last 7 years, it seems that each year passes quicker than the one before and more changes occur within each year. I was a newlywed back then - just turned 28 - and I didn't expect lung cancer to take him so soon, so young. I also didn't think that packing up the limo for the airport after our wedding would be the last time my new husband would see his father-in-law. I never would have imagined the loss I'd feel when I realized my kids would never know their grandfather or how much he would have loved them. It comforts me knowing my dad is watching over us all and probably thinking how I am getting what I deserve with having a slightly difficult preschooler, since I wasn't exactly a piece of cake at that age.

I am also now watching as Jason's grandfather is deteriorating quickly and will likely pass away soon. I consider my mother-in-law "lucky" that her dad got to see 6 great-grandchildren, go to all of his grandchildren's weddings and live a really full life with friends and family. In his upper 80s now and not being himself the past 2 years, it will be a huge relief to most of us when he goes. My dad didn't get to experience any of those blessings.

Each year that goes by is one closer to my kids being old enough to ask questions about their grandfather and understand where and who he is. While I've tried showing Abby pictures of him, she doesn't quite understand it yet, but I bet within a year she will. And when we are both ready, I will gladly show her pictures and videos and share stories of my daddy, who no doubt would be beaming with pride and showing off his granddaughter and grandson to everyone he knew.

No comments: