Monday, August 4, 2008

Seriously?

So we packed up the family truckster and headed to Boston this weekend to celebrate Cousin Karen's wedding to now Cousin Elliot. With plenty of snacks, music and toys, Jason, Abby, Sadie and I headed out on Friday morning, just at what I thought was the "right" (i.e. Abby's nap) time, 9 am, certain that after a big breakfast of waffles, yogurt and eggs, she'd fall right to sleep.
NO SUCH LUCK. My child, who is admittedly a great napper at home, absolutely refused to fall asleep during the 4-hour ride to Boston. She "talked" and screeched and played and laughed, but did not nap. Seriously?!?! I fall asleep the minute we hit the highway (as a passenger) and my 13-month-old refuses to nap in the car.
After we arrived in Boston and met friends for lunch, Abby did humor us with a 1.5 hour nap in the hotel. Needless to say, she went to bed earlier than normal that night.

On Sunday, I must have been delusional to think that she'd nap on the way home - after all, we left at 11 am (well past her normal nap time) and certainly she'd be tired enough to nod off. NOPE, NADA, NO WAY, JOSE. This kid will not nap in the car!!!! We tried everything - soft, classical music, paci, doggy, blankie, etc. and nothing. And I knew she was tired because she was yawning and rubbing her eyes. Of course when we got home at 3 pm, she took a 2-hour nap, only to be woken up by Sadie barking (thanks, pup).

Which leads me to think that either: a) she doesn't nap b/c she is too curious about what is going on outside when we are driving or b) she doesn't nap b/c she is not in the car that often (never really during the week and mostly short trips on the weekend) and isn't used to sleeping sitting up. I truly find it so bizarre that Dr. Eisenberg might be getting a call from me to get some tips, other than drugging her up with Benadryl on the next trip!

No comments: